Recent comments

Search News & Views

News and views

When the public middle school search began this fall, I was not going to be one of those anxiety ridden parents, whispering rumors and comparing notes and test scores of kids who get in.

After all, we are talking about 10-year-olds here. There is plenty of time to get hysterical about high school admissions and getting into college in the years to come.

My kids attend schools in Manhattan’s District Two, I reasoned, where there are plenty of good choices that parents in other parts of the city only wished they had. My older son survived the process two years ago, got accepted into his first choice and is (mostly) thriving in his middle school, as are most of his friends and former elementary school classmates.

I still want to believe everything will work out fine. But now that tours are done and applications in, I see anxiety etched on the faces of 5th-grade parents. Kids are whispering about their tests and interviews and saying things like, "I’m sure I didn’t make it."

Some of us will have to explain to our kids why, if they didn’t get their first choice but their friends did, it they should not be unhappy or feel rejected.

We won’t be able to say exactly why, though, because we’re all a bit confused. The middle school process started later this year than it did in the past, and while many of us have posed questions to principals, staff at our elementary schools and parent coordinators on tours, we haven’t always received clear answers.

We’ve all been told many different things, some with a warning that all is subject to continuing changes in the middle school process from the Department of Education.

Parental chatter on tours and at tests makes for more confusion. For example, several parents told me they listed their child’s first choice school as SECOND on the middle school application, believing they’d have a better chance in the second round.

Some other unanswered questions:

  • How seriously do middle schools really take the fourth grade tests? Can your child simply not get into certain schools if they didn’t score a four on both the ELA and the math? Is there really an absolute cut-off? It seems to vary from school to school. Should you not even apply to certain middle schools even if you really liked them because of lower test scores?
  • Do schools really have time to look at report cards? If the report cards have just checks and no grades, how will these schools know anything about my child?
  • Will middle school officials really have the time to evaluate hordes of first choice candidates, in addition to getting through an already packed day and taking care of the kids already in their charge?
  • If they give a test, how much does it count?
  • Will my child be interviewed and tested more than once? At first we were told they would be only be tested and/or interviewed at their first choice. Then we were told they’d go to both. Then we were told they’d only get a call from school two or three if the child did not get into school one.
  • Will my 10-year-old be assigned a numerical rating, and get accepted or rejected on that basis?
  • Should we prepare a portfolio? Letters of recommendation?
  • If we don’t get our first choice, do we have much of a chance on appeal?

Understandably, selecting an entering class is tough on popular schools that are overwhelmed with first choice applicants.

Parents for the most part truly appreciate the unique offerings and the opportunity to choose the best school for our children. We know it’s time consuming for everyone involved.

A bit more clarity would make this easier for all.

Read all of Liz Willen's Middle School Muddle

Last week was a scary one for two Brooklyn high schools.

On Thursday, John Dewey High School was locked down for three hours after a student dropped his gun in class, then picked it up and fled. Dewey doesn't have permanent metal detectors, although the roving detectors recently made an appearance. An insightful student wrote on the Times' City Room blog, "First they manage to take all of our phones away but when someone brings a gun to school they cant find it." Check out the comments there: students are mixed on whether they would like to see metal detectors installed, but there doesn't appear to be any division on the subject of whether Dewey has grown less safe and why. The reason for the decline, commenters say, is an influx of students from Lafayette High School, which is phasing out due to poor performance.

Paul Robeson High School in Brooklyn does have metal detectors, but that didn't stop a student from being stabbed during a fight there on Friday; this weekend, he was in critical condition and his attacker had not been arrested. Officials say the attacker may have used scissors as a weapon, but students say the school has so many doors it's possible to sneak illicit items inside.

What's going on with the Discovery Program?

Written by Admin Friday, 28 March 2008 02:49

For many years, the city's specialized high schools have operated a summer program for disadvantaged students who score close to their admissions cutoff on the Specialized High School Admission Test. Successfully completing the program earns those students admission to the city's most selective schools -- and helps keep those schools socioeconomically diverse.

State law allows the schools to operate such a program but does not require them to. And so although this year's specialized high school directory promoted the program, called the Discovery Program, we're hearing rumors that most specialized schools could be axing the program this year. We've heard that only two schools, Brooklyn Tech and Brooklyn Latin, are contemplating accepting students through the Discovery Program.

But we can't figure out who in the DOE can verify — or quell — the rumor. We can't seem to find out the details of why this change is happening, and we don't know whether any students have been invited to apply. Does anyone have any information about the 2008 Discovery Program? Let us know in the comments.

For the last year, parents at PS 154 in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn, have been looking for ways to replace the styrofoam trays in their cafeteria with something more environmentally sound — something that takes less than 10,000 years to degrade. This week, they finally rolled out their solution: trays formed out of bagasse, a fibrous byproduct of sugar extraction. The new trays are designed to break down after 45 days in landfill conditions — but I hope parents at PS 154 know that won't happen if the trays are shipped off to landfills in plastic bags. And it looks like the PS 154 parents may be at the vanguard of a food service revolution in New York City — Bill de Blasio, the City Council member who represents PS 154, has sponsored a bill to ban the use of styrofoam by city agencies!

Student Thought: Massive

Written by Admin Tuesday, 25 March 2008 03:07

That's probably the only word I can use to describe last week's protest: Massive.

Students, teachers, parents and administrators lined Broadway right next door to City Hall and the DOE, temporarily creating a new branch of our education system, one that was based on the needs and concerns of the real constituents of our community instead of the impractical ideas of the Klein-Bloomberg complex.

We called for a restoration of the city's education budget, with signs reading, "Don't Cut the Future Out of Your Budget!", "Budget Cuts are Nuts," and "It's our Budget, Don't Fudge it!"

We called for a refocusing of our educational priorities: a shift from tests and worksheets, consultants and computer systems to project-based learning and a rebuilding of the relationships between teachers and students around our city.

Most of all, we called for respect.

We brought out the numbers, guys! Take heed!

In my time as a student activist, I have never seen so many students up in arms, taking to the streets. The NYC Student Union alone brought out over 500 students, thanks to the online organizing of freshman Rebecca Morofsky of Brooklyn (special shout out to her for a great job).

Students realize the direct impact these cuts are making on our schools and on our lives. We feel the powerful disrespect when the government fails to recognize that the future is at stake here. We have spoken.

Cross-posted at NYC Students Blog

You'd think Post education reporter Yoav Gonen would know better. Last week, Gov. Paterson announced that his son, an MS 54 8th grader, will attend Beacon High School this fall. This weekend, the Post accused the selective Upper West Side school of giving special attention to Governor Paterson's son in the admissions process, noting that "acceptance letters haven't been mailed out yet — and student-school matches haven't even been made."

But 5,391 students have found out where they've been accepted — the 5,391 students whose scores on the specialized high school exam earned them spots in one of the city's seven specialized schools. In February, those students got to find out which non-specialized school was offering them a seat as well. If Governor Paterson's son wasn't among these students, then Gonen is right to suggest that he got special treatment in the admissions process. But most students at Alex Paterson's middle school do take the test, and many of them head on to Beacon, where Alex's older sister went. If Alex learned of his admission through normal channels in February, that would make Governor Paterson's disclosure not a "leak," as the Post claims it is, but a sigh of relief from a proud parent who has made it through a second bout of high school admissions.

The rest of the city's 8th graders will find out where they've been accepted sometime late this week.

Thousands turn out for Keep the Promises rally

Written by Admin Wednesday, 19 March 2008 15:20

Thousands of people braved the cold rain today to rally against the budget cuts outside City Hall. Tomorrow we'll all have pneumonia but today we can relish the thought of parents, students, teachers, and principals united to call for sustained support for the city's schools and their children. I didn't pay much attention to the various firebrand speakers — with their presence and creative signs, members of the crowd made the strongest statements.(All photos Philissa Cramer/Insideschools)

TODAY (3/19): Rally against the budget cuts

Written by Admin Wednesday, 19 March 2008 10:26

I'm about to head down to City Hall for a briefing on next year's school budget and then to the Keep the Promises rally against the budget cuts. There's been so much information floating around in the last few weeks, not to mention the leadership shakeup in Albany, that it's hard to know what's really going on with the budget. But as each day brings more bad news about the economy, we can assume the school funding picture won't be ideal. I'll blog later on whether parents, teachers, students, and advocates turned out in the gloomy March weather for the long-planned mass rally -- but I hope they do. You still have time to make it to the rally, which starts at 4 p.m.

The city's new social promotion policy scares me. I keep imagining corridors filled with giant sneakers and puny 6th graders bumping into their bearded, muscular classmates who are repeating 8th grade.

It brings me back to our first tour of a middle school two years ago, when my then 5th grader had a funny reaction to the size of kids lurking in hallways.

"Mom," he whispered urgently. "I can't possibly go to this school. These are Middle School Giants!"

It happened that the 8th grade boys who spoke on that day's tour were particularly huge. Their voices had lost the high-pitched, pre-adolescent cadence. It seemed pretty intimidating.

But just imagine what middle schools are soon going to look like by the time my 5th grader graduates and the new social promotion policy takes hold. (Assuming he never bombs a major class or standardized test and gets left back, that is.) I predict huge improvements in the basketball teams.

The policy approved 11-1 by Mayor Bloomberg's rubber stamp education board ensures that untold numbers of 8th graders are going to repeat the grade. The panel's 11-1 vote came on Monday night as angry parents and protesters shouted "Shame on You," according to the New York Daily News.

In support of his new policy, Chancellor Joel Klein says it makes no sense to send students "wholly unprepared into a high school environment," and he's right.

But it also makes no sense to turn middle schools into the Land of the Giants.

What about focusing our energies on helping struggling kids long before they face a fourth middle school year?

At the Panel for Educational Policy last night, parents from the Coalition for Educational Justice did raise such a fight against the DOE's 8th grade promotion policy that the rest of the agenda had to be jettisoned. But as we all predicted, their protest had no affect. Even one of the two panel members who had threatened to vote against the policy found religion just before the meeting and voted to approve it instead. Apparently only Patrick Sullivan, the Manhattan borough president's representative on the panel, is ever allowed to vote "no." Would having its policies approved by a vote of 10-2 instead of 11-1 really undermine the DOE so much?