Advocates for school integration--including parents, students and City Council members—are pressing the Department of Education to take a more aggressive approach to make schools welcoming to children of different races and ethnicities. At a Dec. 7 City Council hearing, a raft of speakers said...
We visit New York City public schools to give you the inside story you can't get anywhere else.
Expert advice for NYC parents seeking the best school for their child
Find your zoned school & more
- Every 4-year-old is guaranteed a spot
- Choose public or private schools or child care centers
- Apply in February for the following September
- Most children attend school based on their home address
- Other options include gifted programs, charters and unzoned schools
- Apply in January for the following September
- All students must apply even if they have a zoned school
- Some districts have zoned schools; others are all choice
- Apply in December for the following September
Recent Blog Posts
New York City has 19 of the 50 richest PTAs in the nation, according to a report by the Center for American Progress. “These (50) schools serve about one-tenth of a percent of the nationwide student population while raising around 10 percent of the estimated total $425 million raised by all PTAs...