The most popular schools in New York City are becoming even more popular, and that helps explain why fewer 8th-graders are getting their first choice. This year, 76,712 eighth-graders filled out high school applications and 44 percent were matched to their first choice, compared to 46 percent the...
We visit New York City public schools to give you the inside story you can't get anywhere else.
Expert advice for NYC parents seeking the best school for their child
Explore your options
- Every 4-year-old is guaranteed a spot
- Choose public or private schools or child care centers
- Apply in February for the following September
- Most children attend school based on their home address
- Other options include gifted programs, charters and unzoned schools
- Apply in January for the following September
- All students must apply even if they have a zoned school
- Some districts have zoned schools; others are all choice
- Apply in December for the following September
Recent Blog Posts
If you are one of the 3,837 8th-graders who didn't get matched to a high school, here’s what to do. Apply in Round 2: Students who did not receive a match must apply to high schools with open seats during Round 2 of admissions. Applications are due March 26. Eighth-graders unhappy with their...