Got a 4-year-old? Now's the time to apply to pre-kindergarten! Last week we shared our picks for the Bronx and Manhattan. This week, we're bringing you the best bets in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, based on our visits and intel on schools most likely to have space. Generally, we have been...
We visit New York City public schools to give you the inside story you can't get anywhere else.
Expert advice for NYC parents seeking the best school for their child
Find your zoned school & more
- Every 4-year-old is guaranteed a spot
- Choose public or private schools or child care centers
- Apply in February for the following September
- Most children attend school based on their home address
- Other options include gifted programs, charters and unzoned schools
- Apply in January for the following September
- All students must apply even if they have a zoned school
- Some districts have zoned schools; others are all choice
- Apply in December for the following September
Recent Blog Posts
It's gone from famine to feast in recent years: Parents once faced with too few pre-k options may now wade through a world of choices. We’re here to help you narrow the list with some promising new programs and schools in every borough. If a great program is hopelessly oversubscribed, we’ve...