New York City offers lots of free and low-cost summer enrichment programs for children from kindergarten through high school. Kids can learn to paint at the Brooklyn Museum, canoe on the Bronx River, or build solar-powered cars in a three-week camp called Summer Engineering Experience for Kids...
We visit New York City public schools to give you the inside story you can't get anywhere else.
Expert advice for NYC parents seeking the best school for their child
Find your zoned school & more
- Every 4-year-old is guaranteed a spot
- Choose public or private schools or child care centers
- Apply in February for the following September
- Most children attend school based on their home address
- Other options include gifted programs, charters and unzoned schools
- Apply in January for the following September
- All students must apply even if they have a zoned school
- Some districts have zoned schools; others are all choice
- Apply in December for the following September
Recent Blog Posts
We’ve long known that children of color tend to fare poorly in segregated, high-poverty schools. Now, a new study by my colleague Nicole Mader shows that even some of the richest schools in the city don’t bring black and Latino kids up to the level of performance of their white and Asian...