According to city regulations, your child may change schools if you move, or if there are significant safety or medical issues at your current school. Your child may also transfer if your school is on the state’s list of dangerous or low-performing schools.

An elementary school child may apply for a transfer if the school is located far from your work or childcare provider, or if a sibling is enrolled at another school. You’ll need to provide documentation and there is no guarantee of success.

Unofficially, your best bet may be to contact the school you want your child to attend directly. If there is no slot for him, ask to be put on a waitlist and make sure to follow-up regularly. Sometimes spaces open up during the school year.

For students in grades 9-12, see our How to Transfer page.