Campus Magnet Building (formerly Andrew Jackson High School)
Share this school
Located in Cambria Heights, the Campus Magnet building houses four small high schools: Math, Science Research and Technology Magnet High School (MAST), Humanities and the Arts Magnet High School, Institute for Health Professions at Cambria Heights and the Benjamin Franklin High School for Finance & Information Technology.
Two other schools were closed because of poor performance: Law, Government and Community Service High School and Business, Computer Applications & Entrepreneurship High School. Both began the phase-out process in 2013 and graduated their last seniors in 2016.
Campus Magnet is the former home of Andrew Jackson High School, which the city closed in 1993 because of its poor graduation rate and history of violence. It re-opened as the Campus Magnet High Schools in 1994 with four small schools - one of the first large schools in the city to undergo such a a transformation. Graduation rates for the small schools in the building have risen since the early 1990s, when only about one-third of students graduated from Andrew Jackson.
The large building was built in 1937 and sits on a quiet, residential street.
All students must pass through metal detectors on the way into the building. The schools share an auditorium, a gym, a library, a cafeteria and sports fields and teams. The building is not near any subway stops; many students take the E or the F train to Parsons Boulevard and transfer to a bus to get to school.Read more